I’m sure all of you are familiar with the famed Tom Kha Gai or the Thai Coconut Soup. It is native to both Lao and Thai cuisines with only very minor differences in the recipes. What I have mostly at home is a Vegan version and find below the recipe for the same.
Ingredients (for 3 servings)
Veg Stock : 400 ml
Coconut Milk (Full or Thick): 200 ml
Mushrooms (Button or Shiitake): About 100 gms, washed and diced
Tofu Firm : 100 gms diced into small cubes
Carrots : 1 medium sized…sliced into thin oval discs
Galangal : 1 inch piece…cut into thin slices and slightly crushed
Kaffir Lime Leaves : 2-3 leaves
Red Birds Eye Chili : 2 partially cut along the length
Thai Chili Paste or Sambal Paste : 1 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves : A small bunch. cleaned
Lime juice : Of 1 Lime…add to taste.
Salt : To taste
- Bring the stock to a boil with Galangal, Birds eye Chili and Kaffir Lime Leaves.
- Saute the mushrooms in a pan with the Thai Chili Paste or Sambal Paste until the mushrooms start releasing water and shrink.
- Add the coconut milk, carrots and mushrooms to the stock once it comes a boil. It should have a slight reddish/orange tinge now due to the Chili/Sambal Paste.
- Add the tofu and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir gently once in a while without breaking the tofu.
- Add lime juice and salt to taste. While adding the lime juice, keep tasting so that the soup does not turn too sour and tangy.
- The bockhoy and cherry tomatoes go in now.
- Leave it on for about 2 minutes and switch off.
- Serve hot in a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Additional Tip : You can also add some cooked rice to it if you like to have it as a meal.
You can replace tofu with Chicken or Prawn as per your preference. Just ensure that you saute it in the Chili Paste before you add it to the stock/soup.