Salads need not be boring or run of the mill. If you let your instincts drive it, you can come up with the most exciting recipes. The above salad happened for me in a similar way. I went into the store to buy ingredients for a good warm soup for supper and I noticed these lovely Starfruits sitting on the shelf. I could imagine how good they would look in a salad. So I picked them up and a few Pears n Purple Romaine Lettuce to go with them. Here goes the recipe for this beautiful looking salad.
Note: The measures in this recipe serves 2 to 3 people.
- Romaine Lettuce – Couple of bunches, fresh, washed and clean.
- Starfruit – 2 Nos, Cut into thin cross-sections.
- Pears – 1, Cut into thin quarter slices. Ensure you cut off the top and bottom and get rid of the seeds.
- Walnuts – A handful, roughly broken in middle
- Dry Figs – A handful, cut across into thin cross section pieces. Can be a bit tough to cut…so use a sharp knife and be careful while cutting.
- Alfalfa Sprouts – A couple of handfuls, washed and clean. If you can get it…skip it as any other sprouts can be over-powering.
- Parmesan Cheese – For garnish later.
Put all of these except for the Parmesan into a big salad bowl.
Now to make the dressing :
Take 2 table spoons of EVOO in a small bowl. Add 2 table spoons of Balsamic Vinegar to it and 2 teaspoons of Brown Sugar (You can control or vary the Sugar based on your liking). Add a pinch of salt and pepper to it. Whisk it with a spoon or fork until it is well integrated and the Sugar has dissolved.
Pour the dressing over the Salad and toss it gently without breaking the fruits.
While serving, garnish with a few shavings of parmesan cheese.
The flavor profile is sweet followed by saltiness from the parmesan and the slight sourness from the balsamic vinegar.
Hope you like it 🙂 njoy!!!