Risotto is not one of my favorites, mainly because I find it very rich, thick and creamy in consistency. For the same reason, I don’t like creamy pastas as well. So, I’ve been trying to look for ways to make this dish more interesting and different for quite sometime. While looking for interesting Risotto recipes on the web, I stumbled upon this visually stunning beetroot based risotto and made up my mind to make this at the earliest !
This is basically a deep red colored beetroot risotto with tiny roasted beetroot chunks and topped off with butter roasted walnuts and a dollop of sour cream.
Prep time : 15 minutes, Cooking time : 45 minutes, Serving size : 3
Arborio/Risotto Rice : 200 gms
Red Wine : 200 ml
Veg Stock : 700 ml
Olive Oil : 3-4 Tbsp
Butter : Two Inch-sized cubes
Beetroot : 300-400 gms
Onion : 1 medium diced small
Garlic : 1 pods diced small
Sour cream : 1 cup
Walnuts : a handful
Parmesan Cheese : To be grated and added.
1. Peel and cut Beetroot into flat pieces, toss in olive oil and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until soft and cooked.
2. While the Beetroot is cooking you can start with the prep and cooking for the risotto.
3. Keep the Veg stock on low heat on a different burner.
4. Take a pan or deep vessel and heat olive oil and half of the butter. Toss in the onions and garlic and sautee until transparent.
5. Toss in the rice and mix well so that the oil is coated nicely on the rice.
6. Pour in the red wine and stir until all the wine evaporates. The rice will have taken on a deep brownish red color at this point. Lower the flame, add 2 cups/ladles of the veg stock, stir well and cover the pan.
7. Every few minutes, check if the stock has evaporated, add more stock, stir in and cover the pan again. Repeat this until the rice is cooked through. This may take about 10-15 minutes.
8. In the meanwhile the take the beetroot out of the oven, let is cool down. Take half of the beetroot and whisk it into a puree and chop up the rest of the beetroot.
9. Once the rice is cooked through, mix the pure and chopped beetroot. Stir well until the puree and chopped beetroot is mixed well and it has attained a deep red color.
10. Grate and add some parmesan at this point as per your liking and turn off the heat.
11. Chop and roast the walnuts in butter and keep aside for garnish.
Serving suggestion: Laddle some risotto onto a plate or bowl. top up with the roasted walnuts, a scoop of sour cream and grate some more parmesan on top. Have it with your favorite glass of red wine 🙂
The chopped roasted beetroots, crunchy buttery walnuts and the slightly tangy sour cream add different layers of flavors and texture to the whole dish. I must say that this is the best risotto dish that I’ve had till date 😀
1. You can substitute the sour cream with feta cheese or goat cheese.
2. You can substitute the walnuts with pine nuts.
3. This risotto can also be a base for grilled meats or fish. You may need to make a beetroot and red wine based sauce also to drizzle on top then…