Pumpkin Soup, a popular Thanksgiving dish in the United States, can be had hot or cold and is made by blending together puree of pumpkin with a broth or stock. It is a hearty and thick soup and typically had during supper time. And it is not just had in the West…Did you know that Pumpkin soup was a staple for the prisoners of war in North Vietnamese prison camps during the Vietnam War ?
There are different ways of cooking and pureeing the pumpkin for the soup. I have used oven roasted pumpkins, onions and garlic for the puree and blended the same with Veg stock for the final soup. Find below the the detailed recipe for the same.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
Pumpkin : About 500 gms. Bright orange in color, skin peeled, de-seeded and diced into 1 inch pieces.
Onion : 1 large onion, diced into 1 inch pieces.
Garlic : 4-5 pods, peeled & crushed
Olive Oil : 2-3 tablespoons
Salt : To taste
Paprika : 2 teaspoons
Cumin Powder : 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder : 1 teaspoon
Mixed Italian Herbs : 1 teaspoon
Roasted Garlic Powder/Granules : 1 teaspoon
Onion Powder : 1 teaspoon
For making the soup:
Veg Stock : 500ml
Fresh Cream : 3 tablespoons
Nutmeg : For grating and adding to the soup at the end.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 250C.
2. Mix everything for roasting and lay in on a baking tray.
3. Oven roast for about 20-25 minutes until the pumpkins are cooked through. Let it cool.
4. Puree it and mix it with the Veg stock and bring to a slow boil. You can puree into a coarse or very smooth consistency as per your preference. I like it slightly coarse.
5. Grate a little Nutmeg into the Soup, check and adjust salt.
1. Ladle some soup into a bowl.
2. Swirl and mix in 1 tablespoon of fresh cream.
3. Add a dash of lemon juice for balancing the flavors.
4. Have it hot or chill it in the refrigerator and have it afterwards.
5. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds, diced roasted pumpkins or croutons.